The 450-year-old Shri Mangesh temple dedicated to Shiva stands out with its simple and yet exquisitely elegant structure. The temple architecture consists of several domes, pilasters and balustrades. There is a prominent Nandi Bull and a beautiful seven-story deepstambha (lamp tower), which stands inside the temple complex. The temple also has a magnificent water tank, which is believed to be the oldest part of the temple. The Sabha Griha is a spacious hall which accommodates over 500. The decor includes the chandeliers of the nineteenth century. The central part of the Sabha Griha leads to the Garbha Griha where the image of Mangesh is consecrated.
Fontainhas is the oldest Latin quarter of Panjim, and is similar to a Mediterranean city. Located at the foot of the Altinho Hills, it is bounded on the west by the hills with springs from which its name derives. (Fontainhas is Portuguese for “little fountain”) On the east side, it is bounded by an ancient creek known as the Ourem Creek. It was built on reclaimed land.
Reis Magos is a village located on the northern bank of the Mandovi River in Bardez , Goa, opposite to the capital city of Panjim . The village is famous for two of Goa’s famous structures; the Reis Magos Fort, and the Reis Magos Church – the first church in Bardez. Reis Magos is the Portuguese name for the Three Wise Men from the Bible. The Fort, originated as an armed outpost of the Adil Shah of Bijapur in 1493. When Bardez was conquered by the Portuguese in 1541, the Fort was built along with the church. From 1900, it lost its defensive role and was used as a jail and was finally abandoned in 1993 after which it was at the mercy of the elements, and had begun to crumble. Restoration work on the fort began in 2008 with the funds being provided by the UK-based Helen Hamlyn Trust, INTACH – a non-governmental organisation dealing with restorations of monuments, and the Government of Goa. Renowned architect Gerard da Cunha was hired to restore the fort. The fort is now converted into a cultural centre, besides being used a tourist attraction.
The majestic church of Candolim is situated at the foot of the hills of Candolim and facing the Nerul River. The primitive church of Candolim was built in 1560 by Fr. Pedro de Belem and was repaired and remodelled in 1661. The church is unique as it was built using the Mannerist Neo-Roman style. The front piece is topped by pediment. Its large twin towers have special pagoda like roofs. The finials are of spear type; something which makes the church of Our Lady of Hope (Nossa Senhora de Esperanca) rare is the bell towers which rise high above the central gable. In 1948 the left side tower of the church collapsed and had to be rebuilt.
The Saturday Night Market is located at Arpora in North Goa, 4.3 kilometres from Anjuna beach, and 3.7 kilometres from the Baga beach . The market is 17.7 kilometres north of Panaji . Also called Ingo’s Night Market, it is open between 4 PM and 11 PM from November to April. This is a great place not just for shopping, but also for feeling the Goa ambience. There are party zones for revellers. There is live music, bars, and restaurants serving organic salads, chocolate waffles, Greek food, and local delicacies. You can shop clothes, bags, spices, funky jewellery, handicrafts, leather accessories, shoes, exotic lamps, and more. The night market at Arpora attracts a huge number of tourists – both Europeans and Indians. It is particularly popular with foreign tourists, and the hippie culture. You will find many stalls run by Europeans, making the ambience distinctively cosmopolitan.